Thursday, September 10, 2026

DAY 08 Correct the behaviour without breaking the child’s confidence

 DAY 08 — HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITHOUT HURTING

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ENGLISH VERSION

🌟 TODAY’S PARENTING LESSON

Communication is one of the most powerful tools in parenting.

The words parents use today can become the child’s inner voice tomorrow.

A child may forget what you bought, but may remember for years how you spoke to them when they made a mistake.

Good parenting is not about avoiding correction.

It is about learning how to correct without hurting the child’s dignity, confidence and emotional security.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. πŸ—£️ WORDS CAN BUILD OR BREAK

Children are constantly learning about themselves through the reactions of their parents.

Repeatedly hearing:

“You are lazy.”

“You are careless.”

“You never listen.”

“You are good for nothing.”

can slowly become part of the child’s self-image.

Instead of attacking the child’s identity, correct the behaviour.

❌ “You are lazy.”

✅ “You haven’t completed your homework yet. Let’s see how we can finish it.”

Correct the action, not the identity.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. ❤️ SPEAK WITH RESPECT

Respect is not something children alone should show parents.

Parents also need to show respect to children.

Even when correcting your child:

• Speak calmly.
• Avoid humiliation.
• Avoid insulting words.
• Avoid shouting unnecessarily.
• Avoid sarcasm.
• Avoid embarrassing the child in front of others.

You can be firm without being cruel.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. πŸ‘‚ LISTEN BEFORE YOU RESPOND

Many parenting conflicts happen because the parent responds before understanding what actually happened.

Instead of immediately saying:

“How many times should I tell you?”

try:

“What happened?”

“Tell me what went wrong.”

“How were you feeling at that time?”

Listening does not mean agreeing with everything.

It means understanding before deciding how to respond.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. 🌱 USE “I” STATEMENTS

Instead of blaming:

❌ “You always create problems.”

Try:

✅ “I feel worried when you come home late without informing me.”

Instead of:

❌ “You never care about anyone.”

Try:

✅ “I feel hurt when you speak disrespectfully.”

“I” statements reduce blame and make communication more constructive.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. 🎯 BE SPECIFIC

Avoid vague statements such as:

“You are always bad.”

“You never behave properly.”

“You are impossible.”

Tell the child exactly what behaviour needs to change.

For example:

❌ “You are irresponsible.”

✅ “You left your school bag in the living room again. Please keep it in its place.”

Specific communication makes correction easier to understand.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. 🚫 AVOID COMPARISON

Comparison is one of the most damaging forms of communication.

“Look at your brother.”

“Why can’t you be like her?”

“Your friend scores better than you.”

Such statements may create jealousy, resentment and low self-confidence.

Instead of comparing the child with another person, compare the child with their own previous performance.

“Last month you were struggling with this. Now you have improved.”

The goal is progress, not competition.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. 😌 CONTROL YOUR TONE

The same sentence can communicate completely different meanings depending on the tone.

“Come here.”

can sound like an invitation or a threat.

Before speaking, ask yourself:

“Is my child going to hear my message—or only my anger?”

A calm voice does not mean weak parenting.

Calmness often gives parents greater influence.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. 🧠 DON’T LECTURE EVERY TIME

Children can stop listening when every conversation becomes a long lecture.

Sometimes a short sentence is more powerful.

Instead of a ten-minute lecture:

“You know, I have told you so many times…”

try:

“You know the rule. What do you think you should do now?”

This encourages responsibility and thinking.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. πŸ’¬ ASK QUESTIONS THAT OPEN CONVERSATION

Closed questions often produce one-word answers.

Instead of:

“Did you have a good day?”

try:

“What was the best part of your day?”

“What was difficult today?”

“Did anything make you happy?”

“Did anything bother you?”

“What did you learn today—not only in school, but about yourself?”

Good questions create opportunities for deeper conversations.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. ❤️ SEPARATE THE CHILD FROM THE BEHAVIOUR

One of the most important parenting principles is:

“I may not accept what you did, but I still love and respect you.”

For example:

❌ “You are a bad child.”

✅ “What you did was wrong, but you are not a bad person. Let’s talk about how you can handle this differently next time.”

This teaches accountability without destroying self-worth.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. 🌟 APPRECIATE MORE THAN YOU CRITICIZE

If most communication at home is about:

• Homework
• Marks
• Mistakes
• Discipline
• Complaints
• What the child did wrong

the child may begin to associate parental attention with criticism.

Notice positive behaviour too.

“I noticed that you helped your sister.”

“You kept your promise.”

“You worked hard even though the task was difficult.”

“You handled that disappointment very maturely.”

Specific appreciation strengthens desired behaviour.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. 🀝 WHEN YOU MAKE A MISTAKE, APOLOGIZE

Parents are human.

Sometimes we shout unnecessarily.

Sometimes we judge too quickly.

Sometimes we say words we later regret.

A simple:

“I was angry and I spoke harshly. I’m sorry.”

can teach a child an important lesson:

Strong people can admit mistakes.

An apology does not reduce parental authority.

It demonstrates emotional maturity.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. πŸ•Š️ NEVER USE LOVE AS A THREAT

Avoid statements like:

“If you do this, I won’t love you.”

“Don’t talk to me.”

“You are no longer my child.”

Such words can deeply affect a child’s emotional security.

Instead say:

“I love you, but I cannot accept this behaviour.”

Love should remain secure even when behaviour needs correction.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. πŸ”„ TEACH INSTEAD OF JUST PUNISHING

When a child makes a mistake, ask:

“What happened?”

“What could you have done differently?”

“What can you do to correct it?”

“What will you do next time?”

This turns mistakes into learning opportunities.

The goal of parenting is not merely to stop bad behaviour.

The goal is to develop good judgment.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

  1. πŸŒ‰ CONNECTION BEFORE CORRECTION

When emotions are high, correction may not be effective.

First connect.

Then understand.

Then correct.

Then guide.

A useful sequence is:

❤️ CONNECT → πŸ‘‚ LISTEN → 🧠 UNDERSTAND → 🎯 CORRECT → 🌱 GUIDE

This approach protects both the relationship and the lesson.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

🌟 TODAY’S PRACTICAL ACTIVITY

For the next 24 hours, consciously monitor the words you use with your child.

Whenever you are about to criticize, pause for five seconds and ask:

“Am I correcting the behaviour or attacking the child?”

Then change your sentence.

For example:

❌ “You are so careless!”

✅ “You forgot this again. How can we help you remember it next time?”

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

🧠 TODAY’S REFLECTION

Ask yourself:

  1. Do I sometimes use hurtful words when I am angry?
  2. Do I criticize my child more than I appreciate them?
  3. Do I compare my child with others?
  4. Do I listen before giving advice?
  5. Do I correct behaviour or attack character?
  6. Does my child feel safe talking to me?
  7. Can I apologize when I make a parenting mistake?

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

🎯 TODAY’S PARENTING ACTION

Today, give your child at least three specific positive statements.

For example:

“I appreciate the way you helped me.”

“I noticed how patiently you handled that.”

“I am proud of the effort you put into this.”

Make sure your appreciation is genuine and specific.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

🌟 DAY 08 CORE MESSAGE

“Correct the behaviour without breaking the child’s confidence.”

Your child does not need a perfect parent.

Your child needs a parent whose words communicate:

“I love you. I respect you. I will guide you. And even when you make mistakes, you can always come back to me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment